I’ve never been the type of person to organize anything, not even a party, I was always too afraid that it wouldn’t come out as planned. However, I wanted to try something new and out of my comfort zone. I’ve attended a couple of styled shoots and dreamed of making one of my own. I thought that perhaps teaming with another friend would make it easy and fun. I met Stacy last year during a session with other photog friends and we became good friends since then. We decided to team up to make this styled shoot happen. Since it was our very first one we decided to make it a very small one with just one couple and just us being the photographers. I am going to share FIVE quick tips that helped me planned this styled shoot and hopefully, it will make yours much easier.
- I think the very first step is a very important one because it will lead everything else in place and also finding the correct people to make your dream styled shoot come true. Make sure you have a CONCEPT or a theme. Why? because this leads to what type of brides you would like to attract or target. Perhaps you would like to do a bohemian, rustic, or classic shoot and this also includes color scheme.
- Put together a Pinterest board with ideas of the type of wedding/engagement styled shoot you would like to do. This also includes color schemes, any furniture you would like to incorporate, location, and wedding dresses styles, bouquets, and small elements. This will also help you and your team have an idea of what the styled shoot might look like.
- Find your team. Find the people that are going to help you make your dream come true. Make sure their style fits your concept. I had the pleasure of working with Florist- Jordan & with Beth – Vintage Rentals & Venue before (Link to their websites below) that it was extremely easy in this case to collaborate. Jordan with beautiful neutral flowers that incorporated to our shoot beautifully and Beth with renting as a mirror, flower base, small elements, and most importantly the sewing machine. Lidia for making the perfect makeup very light, soft, and glowy just what we needed and lovely flowy hairstyle decorated with a pretty flower crown.
- Find a location and an alternative location. We knew we wanted something outdoors and we thought that Hurley Gardens in Wheaton, IL would be perfect because it has what we were looking for WHITE WALLS! We weren’t sure if it was going to rain or not but we also looked for an indoor backup location that also had white walls. Luckily it didn’t rain and the day was beautiful!
- Choose your models. It is a very important step that you find a model who is comfortable with the camera otherwise if your model is shy it might ruin your styled shoot. As a photographer and planner, you have to find someone that has a very strong personality and can portray that in images. I’ve known Alexia for a very long time I ‘ve worked with her previously and I just knew she was perfect. Even though her girlfriend Alondra didn’t have any experience modeling having Alexia with her made her more comfortable. As a photographer, you also want to encourage and praise your models during the entire shoot. They truly showed their authentic selves and made this shoot so easy going.
Not only did I collaborated with amazing professionals for what they do but also thankful for my sister and my mom. My sister who she is no professional baker made a delicious vegan gluten-free cake. My mother helped me with the ” wedding ” dress that I bought for $8 by sewing some details. For being my very first styled shoot I am so happy with the results and thankful to everyone who collaborated and made it happen!
Vintage Rentals & Venue – @elementspreserved – https://www.elementspreserved.com/
Jordan Florist – @jceden- http://jceden.com/
Makeup and Hair – Lidia @ Lidiaaranda1986 – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCXzeyuuu3Rx3THs4fcQBzw
Models – Alexia @alexia0817 – Alondra @alondrachavarria
PLEASE COMMENT BELOW